Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

P is out of town visiting his parents. He'd been looking forward to leaving me alone with the twins, since I travel for work occasionally and have left him to hold down the fort with the boys many times. I was looking forward to being alone with them for a weekend, though not so excited about the fact that I had to finish up some editing for a project due tomorrow. In fact, I underestimated how long it would take me to do, but the turnaround time on the project was pretty short, so there wasn't much leeway. I was up until one on Friday, and last night I finally threw in the towel at 4:00 and distracted the boys with stickers that they had received in a care package for an hour or so this morning so I could finish up my work. That worked incredibly well--I don't recommend it, but thankfully, it worked.

So I spent a good portion of Mother's Day feeling really tired, and yet it was the best day ever. I made myself a strong latte and some pumpkin waffles for all of us. By the time I got breakfast--or brunch-- on the table, it was 10:30 and the boys were so hungry that Secondo ate 3/4 of a Belgian waffle and Primo ate a whole one, and then I had to give him another quarter when he stole mine off my plate. Damn. Secondo and I played with his trains on the floor and he chatted up a storm and used all kinds of phrases I'd never heard him say before, in the right context. Primo played "The Yodeling Veterinarian of the Alps" over and over again on the CD player just so he could giggle hysterically when Mama showed off her yodeling skills. I paid no attention to the mess in the kitchen, or the mess in the living room, for that matter. We never even got out of the house today, because I was too tired in the morning, and it poured in the afternoon.

I put them down for a nap at one and took a nap myself, even after the latte. When the boys nap, they nap HARD, hard enough that I have to wake them up if I want them to get to bed at a reasonable hour, but today we all slept until five. They woke up before I did. I napped hard myself, so hard that when I looked at the clock, I was so disoriented that I thought it might be morning. We had dinner, read from their favorite book of poems, and Secondo, as usual, insisted on sleeping in his brother's crib with him. Bedtime wasn't until nine, though I usually don't mess with their 8:00 bedtime, and I heard them read books in their crib until over an hour after that. And my 35-pound boys are now one sweet, snoring tangle of limbs in a crib that is really too small for the two of them to share.

I don't set much store by Mother's Day. Today didn't even really feel like Mother's Day--I didn't even think to call my own mother, because in Costa Rica, it's celebrated on August 15th, so that will always be the real Mother's Day to me. But I can't imagine a better one. And I think that ten, twenty years down the line, this is one that I would probably give anything to relive.

2 comments:

Snickollet said...

That sounds like a perfect, lovely day.

Anonymous said...

What a nice day, Lady!

-Noelle