Thursday, January 3, 2008

Low. Low Tech

My beloved Palm Pilot bit the dust in Costa Rica. I have no idea what happened: one day it was working, and the next, it wasn’t. Somehow, it made me feel better to know that I was not obviously at fault, unlike, say, the time I dropped my camera off a cliff, or the time I drowned my cell phone in a glass of Zinfandel. At least this time I couldn’t really be mad at myself. It’s kind of amazing it lasted as long as I did.

I adored my Palm. I bought one of the old black-and-white ones waaaay back in the day, and then P gave me a snazzy Zire 71 for my birthday a few years back. It was how I kept track of all my jobs, contacts, expenses, birthdays, and things to do. I loaded two very good bilingual dictionaries on it, one general and one legal, that came through for me many a time while I was interpreting. And when things got boring, I snuck in some Solitaire and Bejeweled.

Seeing as how I can’t be trusted to remember, oh, anything without it, I need something to replace it, and pronto. Funny how this happened just as we put ourselves on a budget, no? Also, I don’t really know what I want. I don’t particularly like the Palm software or the way it works on my Mac, so I don’t think I’ll be getting another Palm. What I would love is an iPod Touch, but I want to wait awhile. I don't like being an early adopter, though that thing looks amazing.

My solution for now? I think I'll go out and buy an honest-to-goodness paper planner. I feel like I’m back in high school. It’ll be cheap, and it should work. Unlike my PDA.

P pointed out that I can't exactly play Bejeweled on a planner. But I'll also be carting around a book of Sudoku puzzles, for when things get boring.

1 comment:

SAHDer said...

I love my iPod Touch! I've only had it for a few weeks (it was a combined Christmas/fifth anniversary present) and I already carry it around most of the time. It's even starting to loosen my bond to the paper list of phone numbers I've carried around in my pocket for as long as I can remember.

Since the Touch runs Mac OS X, Apple can add new functionality through software updates, so the early adopter risk is reduced. And with P's fondness for Apple, it seems like a natural...