Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Shirking my civic duties

I left work today at 4:30. I got on the Metro, and as we neared the Pentagon, we stopped. And waited. And were informed there was a fire at the Pentagon, and waited some more.

I try not to think freaky thoughts on the Metro, which is usually not a problem for me. But I have to admit I hate being stuck on the Metro. I couldn't help but think about the teeny flashlight I always carry in my purse, especially once I smelled the smoke. I was relieved once we backed up and started moving again--our train was sent back into the District-- but I was even more relieved once we were on the tracks over the Potomac and I could see the Pentagon, all in one piece.

My 40-minute commute stretched into almost 2 1/2 hours. It wasn't until I got home that I remembered that the polls closed at seven. I had 12 minutes to rush over and vote, and didn't. But boy, that was some commute.

No comments: