Friday, November 2, 2007

Why NPR is bad for you. Or maybe just me.

I was so very good this Halloween. I'm making such an effort to eat better, cut back on the sweets and wine, and go to the gym. I'm not going to extremes, but I'm doing well and have lost a few pounds. At the Halloween party I went to, I had exactly one hot dog, a small cupcake, and half a glass of wine. (Though I only stopped at half a glass because I was chasing my rambunctious toddlers all over the place and forgot about the wine. It was hard enough finding a couple of seconds to scarf down the hot dog.) I even went to the store yesterday and bought a few bags of half-price Halloween candy, figuring the teeny boxes of Milk Duds and Junior Mints would be the perfect size to toss in with my sack lunches. I'm not even tempted by them.

But then I listened to my podcasts and heard this Ode to Candy Corn. And I immediately became consumed by the desire to, well, consume candy corn. I scoured our local grocery stores and drugstores, hoping to find individually-wrapped packages, just to keep myself in check, but no dice. So I bought a bag and figured I would be good and eat it little by little. Right?

Damn that podcast. It had been a long time since I had candy corn. I never really give it a second thought. But yesterday, I was unable to resist it. I didn't eat the whole bag, which is good. Or even half the bag. But boy, it got the best of me. And it was sooooo good.

No comments: